04 August 2008

August already?

I'm still working my way through the write-ups on the MUP tour. I'll keep adding them with dates in July. You can find them by clicking on the links along the right. My goal is to finish up one a day, but I'm a little behind.

I had to throw in a current post, though. This sort of follows with some of the bicycle-car interaction posts and comments passed. Tonight on my ride home I had close call - only not with a car, but with another bicyclist. Preparing to cross my favorite busy intersection at Okemos and Kinawa Roads, I was eastbound, and stopped in the right lane waiting on a red light. A short line of cars was building behind me. Across the road and to my right, there was a youngish woman on bicycle. Picture a not-so-athletic looking high school age girl on an old beat-up mountain bike with no helmet and no smile. She was northbound on the sidewalk across the road, and approaching the intersection. As my light turned green and I started across the road, it appeared that she was slowing as she approached the intersection. I didn't think too much about it, but assumed she would stop since she had a red light and there were quite a few cars around. However, just when I thought she would stop, she didn't. Instead, she pedaled. I don't think she ever looked my way - she just rolled into the road. I hit my brakes pretty hard and swerved to my right, passing just behind her rear wheel. I don't think she ever saw me. The cars behind me just slowed and waited for for her to cross the road in front them. I don't know if she saw them either. Maybe she just didn't care.

I'm concerned that there are so many people out there on bikes who pay no attention to traffic laws. And, actually, it's not necessarily just disregard for traffic laws - it's a lack of common sense. I suspect it's never occurred to them that they are supposed follow some sort of guidelines for the use of their bicycle on public roads and sidewalks. Lots of people go to driver education training. Perhaps we need to have some sort of formal training - or semi-formal training - in the use of bicycles. Maybe it could occur in elementary schools. I'm not advocating licenses for the operation of bicycles, but maybe some sort of short-course for 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. Parents could come, too. Or maybe it's just hopeless.

If you're at an intersection and the light is red, and the "Don't Walk" sign is lit, and there are cars coming from your right and your left, don't cross the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment