18 July 2010

Bunny Hop


Oh, yah!!!

Preparing for a trip to the bike trails Saturday morning, I discovered that Quinn's bottom bracket was out. The stock part was rather low quality, lacking decent seals, and most likely the bearings were destroyed by the entry of sand after being submerged in muddy water a few times this summer. I was glad that his bottom bracket shell was a standard size, so getting a replacement was easy enough. I had him perform the installation himself, with some assistance from me.

Since we had to pull the cranks and pedals to install the bottom bracket, Quinn thought it would be a good time to try his SPD pedals, which clip to cleats in his shoes. He's been using them on the tandem for the last couple of years, but has stuck to flat pedals on his mountain bike until now. He very quickly got the hang of clipping in and out, and was pleased by how much the clipless pedals improved his bunny hop. He pretty much spent the whole weekend bunny hopping. Let's hope that the new bottom bracket and crankset, as well as the rest of his bike, are tough enough to handle it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Quin that is very cool! I wish I could do that.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, I'm very proud of Quinn's bunny hop. He's getting more air than I expected, given that he weighs not much more than 50 pounds and his bike is in the vicinity of 24 pounds. Could I bunny hop a 75 pound bike? I don't think I'd even try.

    ReplyDelete