16 September 2007

Not-so-hilly chilly, Silly. Ride.

Today at Home Depot the kids were fighting over the cart while Cindy and I were trying to pick out some copper fittings for yet another little household project. Cindy turned to scold them, "If you're going to fart..." That's what she said. I think it was some combination of fight and cart. Only a few people heard her. We all thought it was funny.

Yesterday we rode to Mason again. I don't know how many times we've done that ride. Summer must be over, though, because it was cold again. The morning started out in the mid 40s. It took us an hour to bundle up the kids.

My mom gave me a new handlebar bag for my birthday, so now I have easier access to the camera while riding. It's a little hazardous to take photos and ride, but I got a few decent shots. Most of them were at really wild angles because I was holding the camera over my head to shoot behind me.

At the park in Mason, still bundled up:

Here's a nice spot on Willoughby Road where the squirrels can cross without touching pavement:

I'm sure someone can explain why red was such a popular color for barns.

We stopped at our favorite cemetary to take photo of Jack's stone. Anybody remember Jack?

And here's that new handlebar bag. It's a Jandd Handlebar Bag. One of the smallish mountain bags, rather than a big touring bag. I think it will be perfect. Quinn was having such a good time he couldn't quit dancing. Eventually we convinced him to mount the vehicle. This is how it works:






The girls just watch and laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Why are barns often red? Years ago, farmers, always a thrifty bunch, didn't paint for purposes of color. Rather they sealed with wood with what was cheap back in the day - linseed oil. But they would also add ferous oxide, cheap and plentiful with all of their rusting farm implements, because it would deter fungus from attacking the wood. These barns weren't a bright red, rather a rusty red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim. Cindy and I have been asking that question since we came to Michigan and started seeing all these old red barns. We figured there had to be a good reason.

    ReplyDelete